Creating blog posts
Blogging is a great way to keep your website visitors updated with the latest news and information about your products and industry trends. Blogs are used to attract regular visitors to your website (as they come back to read your latest news), are great for SEO (as people link to them from their own websites), and a good way to get traffic from social media as your readers share your posts with their friends and followers.
Before you add your first blog post you may like to add some categories to your blog. Categories are a way of organising your blog posts into different sections like 'Company News', 'Latest Products' or 'Our Reviews'. You can create categories easily by selecting 'blog' from the left hand menu and then 'categories'.
Creating a new blog post
1. Select 'blog' from the left menu and then 'create a new post'.
2. First you'll be asked to enter the name for the post . This is the headline of the blog post so make it punchy!
You can also change the date of the post if you don't want to make it appear the blog was created today.
You'll also be asked to upload a 'thumbnail image'. This is an image that will be displayed on your blog's home page (not the individual blog post page). You can upload any size image here, and if you don't have one then you don't need to upload one.
3. Next enter the content for the post. Its edited using the HTML editor which you can read about here.
This is the main content of the blog post, in full.
4. The blog on your website has its own 'home page' which contains your most recent blog posts.
On your blog's home page, we don't show the full content for your blog post. Instead we show, what we call an 'excerpt' (just a small section of it).
The next step is to decide whether you want to write the 'excerpt' yourself, or if our system should create it automatically for you.
If you do want to enter a separate excerpt tick the box and enter your excerpt in the new field that appears below.
If you don't want to write a separate excerpt then don't tick the box. Our system will use the first paragraph from the content you have already written.
5. Next you'll be asked to select a category for the blog post.
6. Finally you can also add tags to your blog post (if you want to). To do so click the '+add post tags' link and a new field will enter for you to enter your tags. Tags are another way of categorising blog posts, but most of our themes don't use them as standard so if you want to use them on your theme you'd need to edit your theme or contact us.
7. Click the 'save changes' button at the bottom of the page and the post will automatically be added to your blog.
We'd advise you to check the blog post on your website to see how it looks.